Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Freezer-Cooking: Cilantro-Lime Chicken

10am 11/20 - Well, so far I'm loving this freezer cooking thing.  

See my other blog - A Real REAL Housewife of Clark County for the full Freezer-Cooking Venture. 

Last night I threw my bag of Cilantro-Lime chicken into the fridge to thaw; and when I got up this morning I dumped the contents of the bag into my crock-pot.  Dinner is on it's way to ready and I have not even changed out of my pajamas yet.  

Cilantro-Lime Chicken Recipe:


This makes 2 bags so if you aren't Freezer-Cooking just cut the recipe in half or make the 2 bags and throw one in the freezer for next week!


-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

-3 tbsp. olive oil
-2 limes, juiced
-2 cups cilantro
-1 lg bag frozen corn (or 2 small bags)
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 finely chopped red onion (I don't like red onion, so I used sweet onion)
-2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
-2 tsp. cumin or chipotle powder (I used cumin)

Divide all ingredients evenly between 2 one gallon Ziploc bags.  Shake it up.  At this point you can either freeze the bag(s) for later, or go ahead and dump the contents of the bag into the crock-pot.  Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.  Shred your chicken or slice into thin strips and serve on warm tortillas.  Garnish with cheese, sour cream, guacamole...whatever your heart desires!


2pm - My house smells amazing! 

Dinner was a hit!  The sweet onion worked out great (instead of the red onion); and I didn't have to cut the chicken - it was so tender that when I got ready to serve it, I just used a fork to break it apart.  Peyton (my three-year old) and I rolled ours up in tortillas with cheese and sour cream.  My husband doesn't really care for tortillas so I made some Minute Rice and he had his "naked" burrito style.  The only complaint about this dish was from Peyton - he said it was kind of sour from the lime.  That didn't really deter him too much though!  So if you have young ones, maybe use 1/2 a lime in each bag instead of a whole one.  So far the Freezer-Cooking Venture is off to a great start!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment